[time-nuts] Downsizing dilemma, HP 3335A

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 23 15:10:44 EDT 2013

When down sizing, the best question to ask your self is "When was the last
time I needed to use this?"  and if the answer was "a long time ago" then
you likely will not need to keep it.

As to what to do with three broken units, Sell them for some small amount
plus shipping.  Then take them to the UPS store and let those guys at the
store deal with boxing, packing and shipping.  The buyer pays.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:08 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill
> It is unfortunate when the time comes to downsize. Even worse as time goes
> by at least for me each piece of test equipment from HP seems to get
> heavier. Must be dust building up inside. So as Ed says if you need that
> fine grain resolution you need them.
> But you are also running into the age thing in the gear and that there are
> failures that creep in that are really a big problem to figure out.
> Especially if some form of programmable logics involved.
> Lastly sending them to the dumpster is the worst thing. But then the ole
> reality really sets in selling packing and shipping the stuff.
> I guess the good news is that today there is a lot of replacement gear that
> will do reasonably well thats cheap respectively consumes little power and
> can easily be controlled by usb so you don't have to actually stop
> experimenting.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:32 AM, ed breya <eb at telight.com> wrote:
>
> > You don't save these kinds of synthesizers for high frequency coverage,
> > but for their 10 to 11 digit frequency resolution. If you anticipate
> > needing that, then of course they should be kept and fixed. The
> > long-obsolete telecom standard connectors and ranges are pretty much
> > useless - sacrifice that one first if you need parts for the others.
> >
> > If you need to justify keeping them, you can use them for practical
> > everyday applications. For example, each one can store a telephone
> number -
> > as long as the power doesn't go out.
> >
> > Ed

Chris Albertson