[time-nuts] Net4501's cheap...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 23 14:57:56 EDT 2013

$20 each is a fair price.  I bet if someone here were to buy a lot of five
(for less than $80) they could unload 3 or 4 of them here for $20 each
shipped.  I'd take one (at least) but have no use for five of them.

The only good time-nut use of these is that some one has already figured
out and documented how to build an ultra-accurate NTP server with them and
has documented the hardware mods needed to upgrade the on-board clock.
They were getting 1/10th uSec performance which is about 20x better than
most people get using a generic PC.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Andy Bardagjy <andy at bardagjy.com> wrote:

> The net4501s went way up in price, but there is a seller offering a lot of
> five net4521 boards plus five 64MB CF cards for $80 - and he is willing to
> accept less if you make an offer. Try lot 320744604969.
>
> They seem to be the same as a net4501 but with two PCMCIA slots. I was
> gonna try to run NTPd on it for a work project, though I've also got a few
> BeagleBone Blacks hanging around.
>
> Andy Bardagjy
> bardagjy.com
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM, mike cook <mc235960 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Le 23 mai 2013 à 03:31, Jim Sanford a écrit :
> >
> > > Do you have any documentation on how to use them?  I have one that I
> > bought to be an internet access point with a verizon card, failed due to
> > verizon not complying with the RFCs.  Love the device, but no information
> > on ports, etc.  Might want to play with it, or could make it available.
> > >

> >   User manuals, firmware etc from the Soekris.com site and there is
> plenty
> > of OS installation/admin doc visible on the web. They marry with PCI or
> > mini-PCI wifi cards that can be found cheaply. Mine were running FreeBSD
> > but there are other flavors that support it. I say were because their
> power
> > supplies failed after around 5years 24/24. The 4801s of the same vintage
> > are still going.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California