[time-nuts] Man killed in quartz crystal accident

DaveH info at blackmountainforge.com
Mon Nov 25 02:43:45 EST 2013

And chemically analyze the wash water at the end of the test.  The tank was
heated with electrical heaters so they could have run it up to 300°F and
maybe 2,000 PSI and let it sit for a month - easy-peasy.

Their operation used 4% lye with 96% water so this would not have been out
of normal operating window.

The management was counting on the layer of Acmite (sodium iron silicate) to
provide a barrier between the guts and the pressure vessel.

I am betting that they would have found iron rust components in the cleaning
water.  A simple test for iron oxide would have revealed a breach.

This is not time-nuts stuff but it is major engineering management and
record-keeping stuff which is also germaine to accurate time keeping...

Dave