[time-nuts] Synthesizers

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 3 23:38:13 EDT 2013

On 9/3/13 7:14 PM, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> Ah the 8660's
>

> Image 22 8660A's in two racks, was an fun tax payer, paid project :-)
>
> We where never told what the master clock was.
>
> Have S/N suffix 0009 in the garage.
>
> For you time nuts, a side hobby should be frequency nuts. How to
> produce the cleanest synth'ed signal but be able to change it quickly.
>
> Made a few companies a lot of money and challenged engineers.
>
> It was quite the challenge in the late 60's into the 70's. There were two
> types of cusomers. Those that wanted uS switching time vs. those that
> didn't care. Nothing inbetween.

When I was doing electronic warfare stuff in the 80s, microsecond
switching was the order of the day, and PTS was our friend.  Nothing
like direct synthesis (mix and add) for speed.  Waiting for the PLL to
settle was for casual use.  As you say, either you need it or you don't,
and there's not much demand for "settle in milliseconds".