[time-nuts] GPS outage?

George Sintchak wa2vnv at optonline.net
Fri Sep 6 09:27:00 EDT 2013

Hi Brian,
No unusual GPS blips noticed here with my Z3801a on Long Island, NY either.
The SVN 4 may have caused a holdover event to download a new almanac and
some receivers were not happy doing that if only "seeing" a few birds and/or
poor geometry in NE area at that time.

FCSTDV, or Forecast Delta-V, gives scheduled outage times for Delta-V
maneuvers. The satellite is moved during this maintenance and the user may
be required to download a new almanac.

George, WA2VNV

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 01:06:30 -0400
> From: "Brian, WA1ZMS" <wa1zms at att.net>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> <time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS outage?
>
> John-
>
> I agree. We all should/would have seen
> even a minor outage. That's what makes the event from early this week a
> rather odd event.
>
> I have personally observed GPS jamming events from truck drivers trying to
> prevent being tracked. But those events are very localized it seems and
> are well bounded.
>
> I cannot speak for others, but I am on
> a presumption/ theory for our vendor supplied gear that the GPS engines
> may not have dealt very well with SVN 4 being tagged as "not for use" on
> Sept 3 & 4.  Just a theory from an RF guy since I have no other
> explanation why some gear had issues yet 99% of us Time-Nuts never noticed
> an issue.
>
> Oh well......
>
> -Brian, WA1ZMS

<<<SNIP<<<