[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Sep 9 18:26:31 EDT 2013

Hi

On Sep 9, 2013, at 1:56 PM, "quartz55" <quartz55 at hughes.net> wrote:

> I moved the antenna, and did a new standard survey which took an hour and then another 5 minutes or so to lock.  The sats don't seem to be any less right under the trees.  You can see the antenna and trees here. http://s251.photobucket.com/user/DogTi/library/time?sort=3&page=1  I'll let it run and check on it now and then.  Now if I had the XRef from VK3HZ.

Unless I'm looking at the pictures wrong, you still have a lot of trees around the antenna. An ideal setup would be clear of obstruction to within 10 degrees of the horizon from about NE around through due S and back up to NW. It's rare that you get 100% of that ideal. If you are obstructed to > 45 degrees over most of that range the TBolt will be struggling at certain times of day. It'll struggle more when it's raining if the issue is trees.

> This thing seems much more accurate than the Nuvi we have.  It puts the antenna right on google where it actually is.

That's more a matter of luck than anything else. Google maps isn't all that accurate.

>  I wish I could move this antenna around and do a bit of surveying with it.  I've got a couple property lines I'm not sure where it is except in a general way.

Your property line may or may not be defined in same reference frame GPS uses. You'll have to do some research on how it's defined.

>  Like the end points, but the line in between is about a half mile and through the woods so you can't see line of sight.
>
> Can someone tell me where to go to read about the items that are listed in LH?

The best way is to take a look at the source code. The other way is to just poke at it and see what comes up.

Bob