[time-nuts] Proper way to manually connect Vfc

Ole Petter Ronningen olepr01 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 08:15:19 EDT 2014

Hello, all

I've started to build up a little collection of various OCXO's, and
measuring various deviations and variances and whatnot. I'm putting them
into proper enclosures, but up untill now I've adjusted them simply using
the Vref through a reasonably low tempco (20-100ppm/C) multiturn pot, with
just a .1uF cap on the Vfc pin to ground. Is this in fact the best way to
do it? Or is there another (reasonably simple) way to improve on that
setup?

I presume the reference-voltage present on most OCXO's are "clean enough"
to meet spec, but are there improvements to be had by using a separate low
noise regulator, for instance?

How about filtering, is there any reason to spend much effort on that, as
the OCXO's are in separate enclosures, with coax soldered directly onto the
10Mhz output? Not sure where the noise would come from, but I stand to be
corrected..

Sorry if this has been repeatedly answered (as I have a feeling it must
have been), but I failed to find it in the archives (perhaps poorly chosen
search-terms on my part)

Thank you
Ole P