[time-nuts] Proper way to manually connect Vfc

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 17 13:24:23 EDT 2014

Hi

A good wire wound pot should have a decent “ratio” temperature coefficient. The whole winding may be 20 or 100 ppm / C but both “halves” of the winding (when set at mid point) track each other much better than that. The tracking can be messed up by this or that, but it’s usually a good thing to bet on.

The *assumption* is that the OCXO will meet it’s specs with what ever it’s internal reference is and something like a pot dividing the voltage down. An RF bypass on each of the active pins of the OCXO is a pretty good idea. The output pin is the obvious exception to this rule.

To see if there is a contribution from the Vref. Simply short the EFC to ground. If the “whatever” deviation does not change when you do this, there is no contribution from the Vref.

Bob