[time-nuts] 10 MHz Filters

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Dec 2 16:27:06 EST 2014

Thanks for the kind words, Dick. :-)

However, a couple of notes on the TADD-1 bandpass filter:

1.  I *don't* recommend installing it unless there is a good reason.  As
others have noted, any tuned circuit is a thermometer and will degrade
ADEV performance.  Other than the original test unit, I haven't built
the filter into any of the several TADD-1s I've deployed in my lab.

2.  The component values for the example filter in the TADD-1 manual are
wrong.  I haven't gotten around to fixing that, mainly because of point 1.

And since the topic of isolated grounds has come up: the TADD-1 uses
transformer isolation on each input and output, and provides DC
isolation by putting a 10nf cap between ground and the coax shield (with
a very short path).  This seems to have worked pretty well for most users.

John
----