[time-nuts] LTE-Lite

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Dec 5 10:01:31 EST 2014

The OP said he couldn't find anything applicable when he was
looking for "light pipe".  So, I offered him a suggestion for
why.  Ultimately, we are talking about locating something
using a search engine.

The public has taken to the high tech sounding term "fiber optic"
to describe what used to be called a light pipe.  If it is thin,
and flexible, and moves light from one location to another, it
will be known to most people as "fiber optic".

As an example, sitting here on my workbench is a light that I use
to illuminate objects under my Olympus stereo microscope.  It is
made by Nikon, and has the following words inscribed on its panel:

"NIKON, Inc.  MKII Fiber Optic Light"

Do you imagine that it is a precision glass or plastic waveguide,
or just a flexible light pipe?

-Chuck Harris

paul swed wrote:
> That is a good suggestion. But I fall into the camp. "Not really that
> important now."
> At least not to get me to pull it out of the rack. :-)
> The little LED are pretty bright and I remember some broadcast equipment
> used light pipes.
> OK now I am going to get silly but this is time-nuts. I think light pipe
> and fiber optics are two different terms.
> Yes they both pass light. But a fiber optic is a precision glass or plastic
> waveguide. A light pipe is a bulk piece of plastic that is not a wave guide
> in respect to the accuracy of the walls.
> Oh I am so doomed now that I said that.
> Regards
> Paul

More information about the time-nuts mailing list