[time-nuts] LTE-Lite

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Fri Dec 5 14:22:24 EST 2014

actually, Magritte had it:  “this is not a pipe”

> On Dec 5, 2014, at 8:01 AM, Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com> wrote:
> The OP said he couldn't find anything applicable when he was
> looking for "light pipe".  So, I offered him a suggestion for
> why.  Ultimately, we are talking about locating something
> using a search engine.
> The public has taken to the high tech sounding term "fiber optic"
> to describe what used to be called a light pipe.  If it is thin,
> and flexible, and moves light from one location to another, it
> will be known to most people as "fiber optic".
> As an example, sitting here on my workbench is a light that I use
> to illuminate objects under my Olympus stereo microscope.  It is
> made by Nikon, and has the following words inscribed on its panel:
> "NIKON, Inc.  MKII Fiber Optic Light"
> Do you imagine that it is a precision glass or plastic waveguide,
> or just a flexible light pipe?
> -Chuck Harris
> paul swed wrote:
>> That is a good suggestion. But I fall into the camp. "Not really that
>> important now."
>> At least not to get me to pull it out of the rack. :-)
>> The little LED are pretty bright and I remember some broadcast equipment
>> used light pipes.
>> OK now I am going to get silly but this is time-nuts. I think light pipe
>> and fiber optics are two different terms.
>> Yes they both pass light. But a fiber optic is a precision glass or plastic
>> waveguide. A light pipe is a bulk piece of plastic that is not a wave guide
>> in respect to the accuracy of the walls.
>> Oh I am so doomed now that I said that.
>> Regards
>> Paul
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.

More information about the time-nuts mailing list