[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints...

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 9 18:02:02 EST 2014

Hi

> On Dec 9, 2014, at 11:31 AM, Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
> I can't speak for Dan, but since he hasn't responded, I can speak a bit about the issue.  As you know, my GPSDO uses a constant voltage TIC and the PWM output from a dsPIC33 to perform the DAC function.  During testing we've found that one critical point is that the PWM voltage from the PIC changes with temperature.  Dan managed to solve that for us by buffering the PWM with a 125 gate powered by a stable voltage.  So, the temperature sensitivity issue is essentially solved.  I would guess that he's looking around for a canned solution rather than using a good reference with an op-am.
>
> We need very stable voltages for both 2.5 and 3.3 unless I revisit the TIC's RC to make it useable at 3.3.

Most TIC’s are “radiometric” devices. If you feed all of the parts with the same voltage, the first order drift cancels out. Yes there are always second order effects. For what we do, a simple regulator is probably good enough.

> On my prototype, I'm using an ADR-291G as a VREF for the ADC on the PIC.  I had originally used LF33 regulators for the board voltage, but recently switched to using another ADR-291G with an op-amp and a suitable divider to get 3.3V to power the rest of the board, including the 125 gate.  My prototype board was made with through-hole components, but I'm about convinced to do the next board on SMT.  Good regulators would have been nice, but it sounds like we're going to be using references and op-amps to get what we need.

On the DAC out of the control loop, a stable reference may be useful. The same is true of a quiet one. With PWM(s) that means feeding the final gate(s) with a stable source. Since they likely pull < 2 ma, a voltage reference should be fine.

> Here's an overnight ADEV plot against the new Cs of where we are in the project.  Red is ADEV.  Green is the TIC.  Blue is the output of the GPSDO to Channel A and the Cs to Channel B of my 5335A measuring TI, using the 1PPS from my GPSDO to trigger the external gate.  I see that the Cs phase has drifted down slightly vs my GPSDOe.  I wonder if this is an indication of a calibration problem with the Cs or some subtle issue on my board?

Looks perfectly normal to me. Your Cs is sensitive to magnetic field. Have you “zeroed” it out? No of course not, nobody does. (almost nobody …).

Bob