[time-nuts] KS problem

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Dec 10 18:38:19 EST 2014

Bob wrote:

>The issue for me is that if it couldn't get a good timing solution,
>why did if fail quietly?  I would expect it to at least go into
>holdover and turn on an alarm or something.  It was giving me fits
>at least 4 times a day, so I should have some idea whether using a
>different port on the splitter fixed it pretty soon.

Oh, it definitely could be something else!  Losing discipline due to
poor reception was just my guess from afar based on the
familiar-looking failure and recovery pattern shown in your
plot.  Losing discipline for any other reason would probably look similar.

As far as failing quietly, if you have both a Ref1 and Ref0
operating, perhaps the infamous interconnect cable is not working
properly and is preventing some status displays?  (Or maybe it's
actually causing the problem?)  And if you are operating just the one
unit, perhaps the kludge that fools it into working is preventing
some status displays?

Full disclosure:  I don't have any of the Lucent boxes, so none of
this is based on hands-on experience.

Best regards,

Charles