[time-nuts] Beaglebone NTP server

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Wed Dec 10 18:56:03 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Brian Lloyd <brian at lloyd.aero> wrote:

> Well, I am hoping to get to the point where the path to using the BBB as an
> NTP server using the PRU for more precise timing

Using a PRU seems like overkill if all you want from the BBB is NTP.  The
standard pps-gpio should move the system clock precision below
system/network jitter (.5 to 1 microsecond).  The next step is using a
timer (TIMER4) which should get you into .1 microsecond offsets.

Naturally if you're doing significant computing (heh) on the BBB you might
want to use a real time unit.

The current portion of this thread is part of the June-2013 hread started
by Gabs Ricalde about using TIMER4 for capture with 10MHz/1PPS input.

<https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2013-June/077430.html>