[time-nuts] Errors on HP 58503A GPS time & frequency reference receiver bought from yixunhk.

Stewart Cobb stewart.cobb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 20:00:11 EST 2014

I have bought several items from this seller and left positive feedback
because the items arrived promptly and appeared to work. Problems only
became apparent days, weeks, or months later. But by then it was too late
to change feedback.

This seller admits to changing the firmware on a GPSDO to "upgrade" it to a
more valuable part number. I bought a device from him for which included a
newly fabricated sheet-metal case complete with new false trademarked
labels.  It's a very good fake, but it was not in fact produced by the
manufacturer whose name is on the label, and it did not meet the
requirements of the device inside. I have bought other devices from him
which had other problems.

It is possible that the seller is obtaining his stock from other sources
inside China, and that he is not directly involved in changing firmware or
creating fakes. It is possible that he himself is an innocent victim of
sharp practice by others. I make no direct accusations. However, the
equipment I have obtained from this seller in the past has not proved
satisfactory to me over the long term, and I have chosen not to do business
with this seller in the future.

Cheers!
--Stu