[time-nuts] Fwd: Atmega?

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 13 14:27:41 EST 2014

FWIW on the topic, since I've been doing some Arduino stuff of late. Bear in mind like many of you I'm not a software person, so that part doesn't come so easy to me.

The $3.71 ebay board looks nice, but it's not an official Arduino design, and may not be well documented. All official Arduino board types are listed on their site (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products?from=Main.Hardware) and will be well documented and supported with code and in forums. That said, some non-official boards can be very advantageous. The Teensy3 (http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy31.html) is small and screams, using it with the Arduino IDE was relatively painless and documentation & tutorials are quite good. It proved to me that both code and design environment can (amazingly!) be made quite independent of the processor, as I moved code from an official Arduino design to the Teensy3 with only minimal changes. The RFduino (http://www.rfduino.com/) is also of interest to me due to the low power wireless interface it carries.

The small ebay board looks a lot like the Pro Mini, but it isn't the same. Both use the Atmega328, so it may even be an enhancement of the Pro Mini, but is it documented well? I have used the $10 Pro Mini from Sparkfun, and had zero problems with it, or the documentation. Their forum may even prove a bonus. Arduino claims Sparkfun to be the authorized manufacturer of their boards (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/FAQ), so I'd have high expectations with them.

For the budget conscious that want a Uno compatible I'd look at the $12 Diavolino from Evil Mad Scientist http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/diavolino/ .

One big advantage to the 28-pin DIP part: If it's socketed and you blow it up, it can be easily replaced. I have a few extras just in case.

Bob LaJeunesse