[time-nuts] The Best way to Mark the New Year...

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 1 10:37:51 EST 2014

From: Hal Murray

Maybe next year we should see how much delay data we can collect.  That's in
addition or instead of collecting leap second data.  The usual ball drops at
local midnight so you have the time-zone offset to separate collecting
leap-second data and midnight-TV delay data.

Although I've not checked it accurately, the timing clock on Formula-1 races
seem pretty accurate. and I've seen delays of between 8 and 10 seconds when
watching on Sky TV (satellite).  That may also provide some useful data
points without having to wait 365 days!  Any other sources of accurate data?
I note that since "digital", we no longer get a station clock at least on
the channels I watch - and program start times are notoriously variable!

David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk