[time-nuts] The Best way to Mark the New Year...

Glenn Little glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 1 13:26:38 EST 2014

There are a number of sources for the delay.
When I worked for a TV station, it was almost impossible to cleanly
cut from network to local.
Network had time embedded in their signal that was constantly decoded
by the station and displayed in master control.
The offset from local time varied, slightly, due to the digital
encoding delays based on content.
There was the satellite delay.
Then there was the station decoding delay from network.
Then there was the encoding delay from the TV station that was
variable based on content.
Then there was the decoding delay at the consumer TV.

We received cue tones from network to help minimize the uncertainty
of the network to local transition.

This is part of the reason that you can see the start or end of a
network commercial or promo that is replaced by a local commercial or promo.

I do not think that you will be able to correct or compensate
correctly for the difference in network displayed time and true local time.

Just a little incite into some of the delays and variables involved.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV
ex CE WCIV TV