[time-nuts] Measuring TV delays

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 14:56:07 EST 2014

When they broadcast "live" TV like from a sports vent I wonder if the time
code generated by the camera is preserved?  But then even if it were the
time might have been set manually to match the display on the camera
operator's cell phone.

Same for scenes with clacks in the background.  Do you trust them to be
on-time?   They might even have ben intentionally set wrong to hide the
transmit delay.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:28 PM, David J Taylor <
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Hal Murray
>
> Are there any events similar to New Years where some specific countdown
> time
> is shown on TV?
>
> How about some show where they just show a good picture of a reliable
> clock?
>
> Or do we have to wait a whole year to be able to measure things?
> ===============================
>
> Hal,
>
> I already mentioned Formula 1 Motor Races (when shown live, obviously).
> Seem to be quite consistent here.
>
> David
> --
> SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California