[time-nuts] more solar clock stuff

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 13:49:50 EST 2014

So here's my next idea..

Set up a 24 hour movement (no minute hand) so that you have the sun
moving around the dial: at the top at solar noon, with the rate being
reasonably constant around the dial(e.g. using the solar clock
algorithms developed)

Then, have two other pointers or sectored disks on the face to indicate
sunrise and sunset time.  I haven't figured out the mechanical aspects,
but maybe a small motor driving the edge of a clear plastic disk.  (or
if there were a good cheapish source for multi axis pointer systems).

One could also add a moon pointer (and all the rest of the planets too).
  Sort of a geocentric Orrery.  The planets would need to be able run in
both directions to accommodate retrograde apparent motion.

It would be easy with laser pointers or light beams and stepper motors
driving a tilted mirror to project moving dots on the wall, but a more
mechanical display would look nicer, I think.

Once the mechanical aspect is figured out, the software should be fairly
straightforward to drive whatever motors there are.

(After noticing Saturn this morning when I went to go get the paper
before dawn)