[time-nuts] Mercury Ion Clock

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 10:21:08 EDT 2014

Magnus,
But for a time-nut how can price even enter into the conversation? Plus it
only draws 10s of watts. A green super duper clock. Other comment I read is
that there is no part that will wear out. Granted I suspect over many years
something happens, but its not the typical CS depletion. I might speculate
the glass windows fog or something or on earth the evacuated chamber
ultimately leaks or the metal in the vacuum release stuff.
No idea but pretty sure I won't be putting a watch on ebay any time soon.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> The traditional Hg ion clock with it's 40,5 GHz frequency is doable, but
> it would be interesting if it could be commercialized at a (time-nuts)
> friendly price.
>
> The modern optical clock got much easier to work with when the frequency
> comb was invented. The frequency comb and stable lasers is now
> commercialized, but not cheap, not cheap at all.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus
>

> On 11/01/2014 02:27 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Trapped ion clocks have been the “obvious successor” to a Cs tube for at
>> least 30 years. There is a *lot* of very fancy work involved in getting
>> from 10 MHz up to a very specific light wavelength with low ADEV and good
>> phase noise…..
>>
>> Rocket science indeed. Time Nuts rocket science, but tough to do none the
>> less.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>  On Oct 31, 2014, at 8:09 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Humor aside. I did dig deeper. It seems that this technology could be
>>> commercialized in larger volumes and might land in the same cost as a
>>> good
>>> CS does today. Technically it looks reasonable.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul