[time-nuts] Mercury Ion Clock

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 1 12:08:25 EDT 2014

Paul,

You mean, as all time-nuts already have redundant sites with at least 4
5071As with high-performance tubes, redundant cesium and rubidium
fointains, set of active hydrogen masers, with everything in tight
temperature, humidity and pressure control, UPS and diesel-engines,
GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO receiver on temperature-stabilized piller and
antenna, do TWSTFT to major labs... since money is no issue, right?

The main problem with cesium tubes as I recall it is really the ionizer
in the mass-spectrometer being poluted with cesium, this then creates
bad S/N before running out of cesium in the oven.

Yes, I agree it would be a great clock to have, but practical limits in
cost is a challenge for most, so it would be interesting to look at it
and ask how cheap it could be done.

Cheers,
Magnus