[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV for a beginner

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 1 14:28:30 EDT 2014

Anthony,

On 11/01/2014 02:29 PM, Anthony Roby wrote:
> I've been reading a lot about ADEV and following the threads on the list, particularly Karen's in-flight thread.
> What I haven't come across is a simple explanation of the basic setup required to go about collecting the data.
> John Miles referenced this page http://www.ke5fx.com/tpll.htm, and the simple setup at the bottom of the page looks
> like a reasonable place to start.  Seems that I'd need to acquire a phase detector and build or buy some filters and
> the amp.  I can probably figure that out, but how do I get the data into a PC?  Is there a basic hardware and software
> setup that someone could point me to or recommend?

The time-interval counter, such as HP5370 or SR620, get started (channel
1) by a reference clock, such as 1 PPS and is then stopped (channel 2)
by signal under test. The counter is typically read out through GPIB,
even if some counters have serial interface and maybe even USB or
Ethernet for really new (or retro-fitted), and the recommended path is
to get a GPIB to USB interface for instance.
Then use John Miles TimeLab.

Cheers,
Magnus