[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812A GPSDO system

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 2 08:30:00 EST 2014

Hi

Here’s a thought:

If you are going to “fit” a unit with a more modern GPS and translate it to “Lucent speak”, are you better off simply starting with an outboard GPS?

The main GPS talks to the second box over the 15 pin connector. One would guess that what comes over is a pretty abbreviated set of information rather than the whole chat back and forth to initialize and survey the GPS. About all you would really need is the PPS and GPS status. You *might* even do that without ever sending any serial strings over to the second box at all.

First check would be to see if there is GPS data on the 15 pin connector.

More or less what I’m suggesting:

1) Feed the 3812 a pps from your “new” GPS (it’s going to need that)

2) Feed the 3812 a dummy status message / status signals

3) Once it’s convinced that all is well, it should lock up to the PPS.

My assumption is that doing this would be easier than all the gyrations involved it taking a new GPS and translating all the messages. The box really does not need to know very much to just lock up. If it’s just status lines, not much at all to do. If it’s a serial message, shoot up a cheap PIC to generate dummy messages.

Bob