[time-nuts] Hydrogen Maser KIT! Update #1

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 2 19:15:24 EST 2014

Jim,

On 11/03/2014 12:42 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 11/2/14, 3:09 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> Bob,
>>
>> Yes, but your Q will suffer.
>>
>> Yes, I've dug out *aged* papers. I was sad to see that JPLs server was
>> taken down before I got to download their wealth of papers. Naturally it
>> happen just after I found out it also had a hydrogen maser section, but
>> also Chuck's papers was lovely to have collected in that form.
>

> which server was that?  I know they rearranged a lot of the technical
> report servers, and then there was that "we don't know if it's export
> controlled, so take it off line until we figure it out" episode.

meterology.jpl.nasa.gov as far as my memory goes. I *think* it was
killed of in a raid against old servers, at least that is what you said
was likely when we talked about it some time back.

It's a pitty, as it was a neat collection of articles. Such sets on a
particular topic is a useful way of finding them, even if the articles
is still available in some large archive system, you need to know what
search terms will turn out good.

These articles where already published at various places, so it should
have already been passed through review and been approved for publication.

I don't want to bother Chuck to send me *EVERYTHING*, even if I would
like to have the full set.

> It might still be there, but at a different URL.  There's been a
> significant amount of reorganization within JPL over the past couple
> years.  The same people are probably in the same offices and working
> with the same colleagues, but the name of the group and/or it's number
> might have changed.
>
> Along with this, there's been a general reorganization of websites to
> make them more consistent, but it's a "when we have time and someone to
> do it" kind of thing for most sections/groups.  If you get lucky,
> there's someone in the group who gets ambitious and does it.

Yes. The pitty was that someone had already been doing that work, and it
was scrapped. Even if the physical machine can be scrapped, the site
could continue as just a small side-kick to the larger sites.

> The clock guys are in Section 335 (which also does stuff like GPS and
> measuring the Earth's rotation, and science done with GPS propagation)

Still not been walking those halls, knocking those doors.

> A bit of googling did not find a public org chart.. there ARE org charts
> for some of the other sections, but "he/she who runs the website has to
> get the approvals for public release" and some sections/groups are more
> enthusiastic about this than others.  The websites are not done by some
> centralized organization.
>
> And, the org charts aren't necessarily up to date (by years, in some cases)

Organization charts aside, it was a nice little site and I miss it. It
was good PR for the good work being done.

Cheers,
Magnus