[time-nuts] pn3048 software

Ivan.Cousins ijcousins at frontier.com
Tue Nov 4 22:56:17 EST 2014

Does anyone else have the pn3048 software running on a PC-gpib system?

http://www.ke5fx.com/pn3048.htm

It has been a number of years since I have used a HP3048A-HP11848A system.
I have two HP11848A test sets and a spare PC or two with NI GPIB cards.

It looks like this will be much easier to use than the old HP 9236 computer.

What trials and tribulations have people had in setting up a system with
that software?

One of the things that can be done is determining the noise floor of the
system.
To determine the noise floor I have used a noise generator with a
programmable step attenuator through a resistive combiner with the
oscillator under test output.

Increase the attenuation until the noise source on-off level is
undetectable.
This is an easy way to measure the system noise floor.
Noise sources are usually cheap on ebay because most people do not know
how to use them.
As an RF designer they are easy to use for testing receivers.

Ivan Cousins