[time-nuts] Electrolytic Capacitor Question

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 9 22:15:41 EST 2014

Hi

The high grade aluminum electrolytics and the tantalums will look quite different on a network analyzer as you sweep them from 100 KHz up The ESR of the electrolyitcs will be significantly higher and they may go inductive. The tantalum caps (for what ever reason, I’ve seen more than one theory) stay capacitive for quite a ways. How far that is depends of course on the lead lengths and capacitor value. This is all based on solid tantalum caps. I’ve never put a wet slug on a network analyzer and seen what it does going up to a few hundred MHz.

I last did the test on the tantalums in 1976, I’d bet they still look about the same. I’ve tested electrolytic from various generations and seen data from others on them. I do not have data on the exact part number you are looking at.

Next up would be reliability. Even the high end electrolytic scare me more based on what I’ve seen fail than the tantalums. I’ve killed my share of both, but far more electrolytics.

Bob