[time-nuts] HP 5342A (18 GHz) vs 5352B (40 GHz) frequency counters

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 16:51:16 EST 2014

I am looking for a microwave frequency counter and won an auction for an 18
GHz 5342A with the GPIB option today @ £200 (GBP). I have just paid for
that.

I also have the chance to get a 5352B 40 GHz counter for £500. That has
GPIB as standard.

In the short/medium term I don't see much use for a 40 GHz counter, but I
am giving consideration to buying the 40 GHz and selling the 18 GHz one.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any opinions on the relative
merrits of the two counters.

Neither of these counters have ovens,  but stability is not a major issue
given they take a 10 MHz input. That said, foes anyone know if these take
fairly common 10811A ovens? There is a chance I would use it in places
where it would not practical to feed in 10 MHz.

Dave