[time-nuts] anyone tried the cheap Lea-6T modules seen on eBay?

Dale J. Robertson dale at nap-us.com
Wed Nov 26 07:53:34 EST 2014

They use the LEA-6T for DIY drone applications because it provides raw
carrier phase information. The raw carrier info is compared with the raw
carrier data from a nearby fixed (and surveyed for an extended period) GPS
receiver.  The position error of the fixed station is subtracted from the
reported position of the 'roamer' , the resultant position is supposed to be
accurate to within 10cm of true position. All this is done via a suite of
open source applications called RTKLib. ublox was the only relatively
inexpensive gps module that provided the phase data needed to make all this
work. More recently a few of the other module vendors including skytraq
(sp?) have provided this function. Getting a module that provided carrier
data for less than $100 US was a big deal for the drone community. The only
other cheap module that I know about is the synergy ssr-6t which works very
well but (very minor nit) has a small pitch connector that was a nuisance to
make the interconnects for. These chinese modules look to be much easier to
interface. I'll probably buy one eventually just to see if the deviations
from the pcb design rec's have impacted the performance in my application.

Regards,
Dale NV8U