[time-nuts] Homebrew frequency counter, need help

Angus not.again at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 28 22:18:38 EST 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 08:57:37 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>> On Nov 28, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Li Ang <lllaaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The TDC-GP22 is the best choise for me at the moment. Since I am not a
>> hardware guy, simplicity is important. It's very cheap in China(About 3$
>> for each piece ).
>
>Which is a very good reason to play with it

>> TDC-GP22 has 2 modes and 3 trigger inputs (start, stop1, stop2).  The min
>> time between start and stop is 3.5ns. max time is about 2.4us.(0 to 2.4 us
>> between stop channels).
>> Time resolution is 90ps, or 45ps in double_res mode(1 stop input only), and
>> 22ps in quard_res mode(1 stop only)
>
>All of which is *plenty* good enough to make a decent counter.  That assumes that they are talking about accuracy (even 1 sigma) rather than just the resolution of the LSB. Specs are often confusing on parts like this.

Hi ,

Unfortunately the 22ps etc is just resolution and there is also a fair
bit of noise - some typical SD's are given in the data sheet which
vary from 35 to 72 ps depending on the settings, and that only covers
part of the range. 60ps RMS noise is also mentioned.

The nominal clock input is 2-8MHz, but the 22ps range is only
available for clocks <6MHz, and not in Mode1 which is being used.

Should still be enough to give most counters a workout.

Angus.

>> The biggest problem I met:
>> If you trigger start first, 100ns later stop1, another 100ns later
>> stop2.Get the result of stop1-start and stop2-stop1. You will find
>> stop1-start is very unstable(+-2% level) and stop2-stop1 is stable(+-0.1%
>> level ). Dont know if it's my problem or theirs.
>
>This may be the resolution / accuracy thing I mentioned above. Don’t give up quite yet though.
>

>> Here is the configuration of it (the document is very bad, took me 3 weeks
>> to play with these 6 registers to get it work as I expected) and schematic.
>
>Gee
 that sounds like the documentation on a LOT of parts these days
. It’s also what keeps people from trying this sort of thing.