[time-nuts] Homebrew frequency counter, need help

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 28 22:50:39 EST 2014

> On Nov 28, 2014, at 9:18 PM, Angus <not.again at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 08:57:37 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>>> On Nov 28, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Li Ang <lllaaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The TDC-GP22 is the best choise for me at the moment. Since I am not a
>>> hardware guy, simplicity is important. It's very cheap in China(About 3$
>>> for each piece ).
>>
>> Which is a very good reason to play with it
>

>>> TDC-GP22 has 2 modes and 3 trigger inputs (start, stop1, stop2).  The min
>>> time between start and stop is 3.5ns. max time is about 2.4us.(0 to 2.4 us
>>> between stop channels).
>>> Time resolution is 90ps, or 45ps in double_res mode(1 stop input only), and
>>> 22ps in quard_res mode(1 stop only)
>>
>> All of which is *plenty* good enough to make a decent counter.  That assumes that they are talking about accuracy (even 1 sigma) rather than just the resolution of the LSB. Specs are often confusing on parts like this.
>
> Hi ,
>
> Unfortunately the 22ps etc is just resolution and there is also a fair
> bit of noise - some typical SD's are given in the data sheet which
> vary from 35 to 72 ps depending on the settings, and that only covers
> part of the range. 60ps RMS noise is also mentioned.
>
> The nominal clock input is 2-8MHz, but the 22ps range is only
> available for clocks <6MHz, and not in Mode1 which is being used.
>
> Should still be enough to give most counters a workout.

Hi

As long as the one sigma point is below 100 ps, that’s not a disaster for turning it into a counter. It’s not going to beat out a SR 620, but it’s still a very respectable device. Being able to do it all with a handful of parts and at 1 to 3% of the cost of a new counter is pretty impressive.

Assuming that the counter timebase is 10 MHz, a clock into the chip of 5, 3.333, or 2.5 MHz could be done quite easily. It sounds like they all would hit the 2 to 8 MHz range needed.

Bob