[time-nuts] "Vanguard Ultra precision Golden Oscillator"

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 23 17:02:22 EDT 2015

Hi

If all the spec’s on it are lies, then of course they don’t help much at all. I have
not contacted the seller with any questions. I have no idea if there is more data
on the parts or not. Some parts from other sellers with very similar markings have
quite good paper specs associated with them.

There are technologies that have been used on similar products over the years that result
in parts that do not meet that phase noise spec at any point in the frequency range from
6 to 100 MHz. Those are the parts that you probably don’t want to use on
your DDS clock.

The spec he states is quite do-able over that range without a  lot of effort on an XO.
Who knows if he meets it or not. I certainly know of no reason why he could not do so.
He might exceed the spec by quite a bit at one end …

The header production process is a fraction of a cent cheaper if you use all glass seals
than if you weld one of the leads. In that case, you simply hand weld a ground onto the
base. A bit ugly, but they save money. Inductance wise, not much difference. It’s miles ahead
of any of the modern ceramic packages in terms of shielding either way.

Bob