[time-nuts] looking for SMT oscillator SC cut, with no oven

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 30 08:55:52 EDT 2015

Hi

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 10:19 PM, Alex Pummer <alex at pcscons.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> go to your local city library get membership[ here in California it is free] , and ask them to get from the university  library, it will take some  time than they cal you the your stuff is there, you could have it for  four weeks if you need you could extend it for an other four weeks,

Yes indeed that does work. You have drawing rights on
a limited number of items that way. Around here it’s typically
a handfull. If you have one target paper and know it’s exact origin
that is an approach that works well.

If I’m digging for a specific paper (like the one that started
all of this), I’m after something that is referenced in the the bibliography
of one of the papers mentioned in the bibliography (taken 1 to 5 layers deep).
To do that sort of thing, I need the first batch of papers from the one
I’ve found. Hmmm … over limit. Then I need the 2 through N batches.
I just don’t have that kind of patience and really don’t expect others to
have it either.

> the engineering library of the university of Berkeley is open to everybody, you can not take it out without additional formality, but you could read, copy, scan it there,
> I assume that works similarly in your state/ city/ university library,

That’s the wall I hit around here. Because of what ever rules, the local university libraries are not public.
One is a traditional private university with it’s own approach to everything. The other is  … errr … a military
base. In both cases, not a big deal. Neither one has an engineering library. The first one is not tax supported, the
other one very much is. In both cases “I get it”.

> If you have a specific title, let me know, it will not happen right away, since I am working on five projects [for clients] also I am [life] member of the IEEE, where is not everything free any more, but people are reasonable

What we are after are the original papers by Beckman (and others) on
the AT cut frequency vs temperature curves and the orientation angles
associated with them. My guess has always been that they are in the
Frequency Control Symposium stuff. They easily could be in an publication
from the IEEE or it’s predecessors. Before the FCS joined up with the IEEE
that was the way some authors preferred to do things.

The terrible thing is that I’ve *seen* a copy of the paper. It belonged to a
co-worker and I used it to generate the code to fill pretty graphs in one
of our catalogs. That was 30 years ago …. There are also a large group
of papers with various tweaks to the original. As I recall, sorting through
all of those to be able to say “this is the right one” was something that
had took him quite a while.

With access to all the papers, I’d guess it’s at least an afternoon’s work to
sort through everything and decide what is what. It would be a bit more if
you haven’t dug into this area before. At that point at least one could say
“this is the paper you want”.

Now (if the law is obeyed) everybody else has to head off to here or there
to try to get a copy. For those associated with a university no big deal. For
the other 99% of us .. back to the top of this page.

Please - don’t take this as an attack on outfits like the IEEE or any of the rest
of these people. They *do* need a way to stay in existence. They serve a very
real function. There is no practical way to “just let Bob” have a free look and
still protect their varied interests.

Bob