[time-nuts] RG 6 U couplings

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Dec 7 21:33:41 EST 2015

mark at alignedsolutions.com said:
> Actually I may be misremembering this.    Am not sure if the cable I used
> was Teflon on not.   It did have a defined fire rating though, and I was
> concerned about it's phase stability vis a vis temperatures.

I was at Xerox in the late '70s when the DEC-Intel-Xerox work on Ethernet was
going on.

The Los Angeles fire dept was sensitive to smoke from cables.  A friend got a
chunk of potential cable from Belden.  It was Teflon coated.  I don't know
what was inside.  He took it out on his back porch and hit it with a propane
torch.  It ignored him.  Well, not quite.  It got smudged a bit, but that
wiped off.

He took a bigger chunk to Underwriters Lab in Chicago.  They have a setup for
testing cables.  It's a cable tray in an enclosure that's 20 ft long and a
few feet wide and 3 or 4 feet tall.  A big gas pipe goes in one end.  There
is a chimney at the other.  They put the cable in, replace the lid and light
it up.  The Teflon cable didn't have any problems.

Teflon is expensive.  After a couple of years somebody worked out a cheaper
compound that was good enough for the fire people.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.