[time-nuts] Austron 1250A Tuning tool

Doug Ronald doug at dougronald.com
Sat Feb 21 14:14:53 EST 2015

I've had the ovens apart to replace a dead 3N128 in one of my 1250As. What you are adjusting is a trimmer cap in the oscillator circuit, and if too much pressure is applied trying to engage the slot in the trimmer, it is easy to bend the trimmer off at an angle where you will never be able to find the slot again. The Austron supplied tool is a dielectric rod of 18 cm length, 3 mm in diameter, with a 3 mm steel flat blade 2 mm in length protruding from the end of the rod. The blade easily fits into the trimmer's slot, but as was mentioned in the previous post, some of the trimmers are sticky, and require some torque to get them moving. I measured the inner oven's temperature as 63 C which is the temperature that trimmer lives at.

-Doug
W6DSR