[time-nuts] What are some cw signal Generators for ATE test?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 09:54:58 EST 2015

On 1/17/15 6:59 PM, Ivan.Cousins wrote:
> time-nuts members:
>
> What are some signal generators for ATE test?
>
> Requirements:
> 100MHz to >=10GHz (higher would be better)
> Settling time less than 1mS
> Reasonable phase noise
> Cost, less than mortgaging a house.    :)

1ms settling time is fairly fast.

Holzworth has some nice synthesizers with very fast tuning (that's what
I needed) and great phase noise performance. They're not too expensive
($7k for a 4GHz unit, and as I recall, it's about 1k/GHz to go up from
there)

Minicircuits also has some USB signal generators

SignalHound has a $1200 12GHz USB tracking generator to go with their
$2000 12 GHz spectrum analyzer. Limited output power range -30 to
-12dBm.  Says it can do 700 points/second which is comparable to your 1
millisecond need.