[time-nuts] New wrist watch

Dave Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 09:19:03 EDT 2015

Two data points for one watch:
When I bought a Casio PAW-1300, it was about 20 seconds fast.  It said that
it had last synced on September 24, but that information does not include
the year.  It was now June 10, so it had been running without a radio sync
for at least 9 months (though it could have been 9 months plus 1 year, or
plus 2 years...).  If we assume the delay is only 9 months for 20 seconds
of error, that's a error of about 2.8 seconds/month or about 1 PPM.

A year later, the same watch got stored in a drawer where there was no
light and poor radio reception.  After 26 days without a successful radio
sync, it had gained 2 seconds.

(On the other hand, the watch does *not* handle a leap second when the leap
second actually occurs.  It simply keeps counting, so it ended up being 1
second fast after the recent June 30 leap second.  It was correct the next
morning, after its usual overnight sync to Colorado.)

I normally leave the watch on the window ledge of a window approximately
facing Colorado (I'm near Toronto).  It gets lots of light to keep the
battery charged, and reliably syncs every night.  It has become my "master"
time source that I sync all my other watches to when adjusting them.
 (Someday I need to build a time display for one of my GPS receivers, but
the Casio works well enough).

- Dave