[time-nuts] Close in phase noise of microwave VCOs

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Jun 19 20:57:15 EDT 2015

Rick wrote:

>However, a better tutorial would be the one written by
>HP's Dieter Scherer which was published in Microwaves
>& RF Magazine (or possibly Microwave Journal).  I believe
>the same content was available from HP as an Ap Note or
>something.

I suspect the paper you are referring to is:

Design Principles and Test Methods for Low Phase Noise RF and
Microwave Sources (Scherer, 1978)

It is available on Didier's site at:

<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=03_App_Notes_-_Proceedings/Scherer_Low_noise_source_design_and_test.pdf>

There are two other Scherer papers there:

Generation of Low Phase Noise Microwave Signals (Scherer, 1981)
<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=03_App_Notes_-_Proceedings/Scherer_Low_PN_Signal_Generation.pdf>

The "Art" of Phase Noise Measurement (Scherer, 1985)
<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=03_App_Notes_-_Proceedings/Scherer_Art_of_PN_measurement.pdf>

Best regards,

Charles