[time-nuts] lawnmower robots may be the end of VLF timekeeping

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 9 12:37:51 EDT 2015

Hi

There are dog collar systems that work the same way as well as low speed data over power line systems.
For what ever reason - they really like to create RFI. My guess is that it’s easy to generate a pulse with logic
gates than it is to properly filter that pulse.

The first question I’d have about the gizmo is: does it really *need* that awful looking square wave? I’d bet
that the “antenna” in the lawnmower is a tuned loop of some sort. It probably would be happy with a much less
wide band signal. I’ve had good luck with the buried dog fence setups and some pretty basic filtering.

Of course this all works ok for your system. You have to be on very good terms with the neighbors to fix the
problem from their system ….

Bob