[time-nuts] KD2BD WWVB receiver/decoder in QEX

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 22 14:34:58 EST 2015

Hi

The most basic gotcha with WWVB is that propagation can (and does) shift the
carrier more than a full cycle over the course of a day. That’s at 60 KHz, so one
cycle is a lot (as in 16.666 ppm). Even at one second with a not so great receiver
and a poor antenna, GPS should give you ~0.01 ppm. Right up front, you have a bit of a problem.
(Yes I’m mixing measurements in that comparison, but the point is still valid).

What I keep wondering is - There is no big mystery about the WWVB transmitter's
 location. You likely know your own location as well. Part of demodulating the data
gives you day of the year. From that you can figure out some of the basics of the
propagation effects (sunrise is at X:XX sunset is at … etc). You also could grab stuff
like weather data fairly easily (no idea if that actually helps). If you fit out the basic
propagation impacts, WWVB could get a lot better. At the very least, you would know
when to ignore the signal.

So yes, you could do better today than they could back in the good old days in terms of
the propagation coarse effects.

Unfortunately, there also is data on 24 hour comparisons of WWVB carrier (same time of
day, one day apart). If you pick your time right (noon or midnight), the variable propagation
can be reduced quite a bit. Based on that data, you are doing well at 100 ppt over
24 hours. Might the new modulation help that by 10X? ..maybe.  GPS over a 24 hour
period should be giving you something in the 0.1 to 0.01 ppt range (same sort of pick a likely
stable ionosphere time slot and compare).

Does that make a WWVB device un-interesting? Not by any means. If you stretch out the
time, both systems get down into the “I have nothing else that good” range. Checking one
against the other is indeed an interesting thing to do. You just need a *lot* of time to do it.

Bob