[time-nuts] HP 5730 data polling technique?

Paul Alfille paul.alfille at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:12:49 EDT 2015

I am stymied by what should be a simple task: I'd like to gather sequential
measurements from my HP5370B.

I have two of them, one with the Beaglebone mod and one straight GPIB. I'm
running linux and have a Beiming HP GPIB->USB device.

While I can see single measurements either with the Beaglebone network
interface or using the linux GPIB command line routines, I can't figure out
how to get a series of measurements.

I could just poll the device in a loop, but is that the proper technique?
Would I have to worry about missing measurements or reading the same
measurement twice if the computers polling frequency is slightly off the
measurement frequency?