[time-nuts] HP 5730 data polling technique?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Sep 2 16:31:19 EDT 2015

paul.alfille at gmail.com said:
> While I can see single measurements either with the Beaglebone network
> interface or using the linux GPIB command line routines, I can't figure out
> how to get a series of measurements.

> I could just poll the device in a loop, but is that the proper technique?
> Would I have to worry about missing measurements or reading the same
> measurement twice if the computers polling frequency is slightly off the
> measurement frequency?

Try it.  A few experiments should answer your questions.

There is probably a timeout on reading data.  If data is ready before the
timeout, you will get a data sample.  If not, you get a timeout.  If new data
is ready before you read the old data, you will miss a sample.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.