[time-nuts] FTS1050A performance

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 8 11:12:40 EDT 2016

I just ran across an unused FTS1050A at work, and before spending any
significant time seeing if it still works (like finding a power source..
there's no AC inlet, so I think it runs off DC), I decided to look up
the data sheet performance.  Interestingly, it seems it's not that
wonderful, compared to a $200 Wenzel streamline, except for "real close in"

	FTS1050	Wenzel
1	-116	-105? (est from 1/f^3 and 10 Hz offset)
10	-140	-135
100	-150	-155
1k	-157	-165
10k	-160	-165

I note that John Ackerman reports on
https://www.febo.com/pages/oscillators/fts1050a/old/
  a similar observation

I suppose that you use these things for "close in" and ADEV performance,
not for phase noise at 10 kHz out.

Some of these units were modified at the lab to replace the original
oscillator with a better one (a BVA, it's rumored).  And who knows what
else was done..