[time-nuts] suitable statistics for measurements with gaps

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 23 20:39:25 EDT 2016

Hoi Jim,

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 06:39:07 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> But what about when the observations have gaps? Say you're measuring the
> frequency of a spacecraft oscillator, and you can only see it for 8
> hours a day?  the description of the frequency variation at a time
> difference of 24 hours is useful, even if the integration time for each
> measurement is, say, 1000 seconds.

I recently stumbled over a paper by Sesia and Tavella[1] that might
be of use. I didn't read it yet, so I cannot say anything about its
content but that it covers gaps in ADEV data for space clocks.

			Attila Kinali

[1] "Estimating the Allan variance in the presence of long periods of
missing data and outliers", by Sesia and Tavella, 2008
http://stacks.iop.org/Met/45/S134

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown