[time-nuts] suitable statistics for measurements with gaps

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:28:42 EDT 2016

The technique used for dealing with gaps is really about handling random
gaps in an otherwise uniformly sampled sequence. The idea is that you take
your sequence, pad it out with the missing data (tagging those points with
a NaN or whatever) and then when you're computing ADEV, if a data triplet
is missing a point(s), you simply drop it from the summation.
This works nicely for ADEV and TOTDEV but not so well for MDEV.

There are a couple of implementations of this around: allantools (Python)
and tftools (Matlab/Octave) are at least two on GitHub.

Cheers
MIchael