[time-nuts] Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 6 07:44:04 EDT 2016

Rick,

On 08/06/2016 06:18 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> On 8/5/2016 12:47 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> Here's a new article, on IEEE's site (and this one's free):
>>
>> "Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review", by David B. Leeson
>> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7464875
>>

> It has always irked me that no credit was given to Edson's
> pioneering 1953 book "Vacuum tube oscillators" in Leeson's papers
> and I see that the omission continues in the latest paper.  You can see
> from the following reference that Edson was the true pioneer in this
> field:
>
> http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/classics1983/A1983QV00800001.pdf
>
> He actually had the basic idea in 1934.  He is the proverbial
> "unsung hero".

Then write an article and point it out. Have a discussion with David
Leeson for that mather, he is still active enough.

It could be that Edson's work was not known to them in this context.

Regardless, just put it in text and show the precursor work. I bet that
many does not know of this work precursor the Leeson 1966 paper.

You have this knowledge, share it in proper ways.

Cheers,
Magnus