[time-nuts] Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 07:09:10 EDT 2016

The story is quite simple, life is never fair and therefore some use more
elbow then others ,

Happy weekend, 73 de Ulrich N1UL

In a message dated 8/6/2016 1:00:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
richard at karlquist.com writes:

On 8/5/2016 12:47 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Here's a  new article, on IEEE's site (and this one's free):
>
> "Oscillator  Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review", by David B. Leeson
>  http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7464875

It  has always irked me that no credit was given to Edson's
pioneering 1953  book "Vacuum tube oscillators" in Leeson's papers
and I see that the  omission continues in the latest paper.  You can see
from the  following reference that Edson was the true pioneer in  this
field:

http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/classics1983/A1983QV00800001.pdf

He  actually had the basic idea in 1934.  He is the proverbial
"unsung  hero".

Rick