[time-nuts] Holdover

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Tue Aug 16 00:35:40 EDT 2016

It's been pointed out to me that I didn't understand the function of the 1PPS of a time standard.  I confess that somehow I had confused the term to be timing standard; which would be an entirely different thing.  But, this is time-nuts, so I should have realized...
Anyway, is there a standard, or at least an accepted practice, for how holdover is handled in a time standard?  Not "how it's done", as in algorithms, but what is expected by the user.  I can see at least 2 ways: time warping (which would be especially bad if the time standard had gotten ahead in time) and nudging back to the correct time.  The case of warping is obvious.  But, are there other methods, and is there some standard for how quickly the time output of the time standard, and of course the 1PPS pulse, is nudged back to the correct time?
Bob - AE6RV