[time-nuts] Anybody want a Thunderbolt power supply?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 31 15:26:52 EDT 2016

On 8/31/16 11:22 AM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>
>> Charles, do you have the schematic for the HTAA-16W-A  ?  The KO4BB
>> mod has limited info
>
> Clint wrote:
>
>>> Ah,  these are the LM723 based linear supplies,  Lambda Coutant made
>>> variants as did Farnell,  they're renowned as high reliability,  low
> noise
>>> supplies.
>>>
>>> There are schematics out there for the variants but they're all
> extremely
>>> similar if not identical.
>
> I don't have a schematic for the HTAA-16W-A, but Clint is correct --
> each of the three supplies is a bog-standard LM723 circuit.

with the venerable 2n3055 (1960s!) as the series pass device, and an
exotic TIP29 (my 1985 databook has it, but the original datasheet says
1968) to drive it..

They probably used the 1970s versions of the transistor, of course,
since the 723 didn't come out til early 70s..

Some things just keep working...
I think they've amply recovered the development cost for those parts..

  I am