[time-nuts] HP 10811 40 Hz low.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 16 15:02:35 EST 2016

Hi

The “outer oven” on the Z3801 10811’s is simply a warmup heater to improve performance when the unit
starts at -40C. When operated as designed, it is effectively “gone” in normal operation. The 10811’s normal
oven circuit (“inner oven”) on the modified 10811 is still what does all of the stabilization of the crystal. The
temperature stability of the Z3801 version is not significantly different than the standard 10811 when measured
over a normal ambient range. Since our basements are rarely at -40C there is not a lot of value to the "outer
oven" in the standard configuration. A proper outer oven / inner oven combination would be designed and
configured very differently than what you see in the Z3801. The “boost heater” approach does show up in
other gear, very little of it is in TimeNuts stuff.

Why do it this way? The 10811 as built simply did not have enough power to warm up properly from -40. At
the time, there was some thought that GPSDO’s would be deployed in un-heated enclosures (that never happened).
To get the unit working, a number of “quick and dirty” hacks were employed to hook the existing OCXO into
the Z3801 design. They were of a “fast time to market” nature rather than “figure it out and do it right”.

Bob